Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The 2022 melting season  (Read 292518 times)

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 250
  • Likes Given: 37
Re: The 2022 melting season
« Reply #500 on: June 21, 2022, 03:09:37 PM »
Day 1 of warming weather over Chukchi and extensive surface melting already showing (7-2-1 composite from yesterday).

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 962
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #501 on: June 21, 2022, 05:39:53 PM »
ESS fast ice breaking up...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 06:44:11 PM by oren »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #502 on: June 21, 2022, 06:47:29 PM »
Regarding the ESS ice break up, we are on the next stage of the fast ice receding, because conditions are set to remain chilly here for the foreseeable(e.g no warm winds from Siberia) then it could actually be quite a slow melt here.

Of course as the weather goes, if its chilly in one part, it's bound to be warmer in another part and that certainly will be applying to the Beaufort and Chukchi seas, how this ice reacts to it remains to be seen but I do start to get edgy when I see a warm Beaufort developing!

All that said though, looking at the SMOS charts, there has not been as much melt ponds this June so far compared to previous years and the majority of the recent ice drops have been in Hudson Bay.
Cross-posted as I had to move stuff elsewhere, due to off-topic posts.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5258
« Reply #503 on: June 22, 2022, 11:10:21 AM »
Day 1 of warming weather over Chukchi and extensive surface melting already showing (7-2-1 composite from yesterday).

Indeed - I was just looking at Worldview & it's now visibly (using just "true colour" layer) getting bluer around there.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 22, 2022, 01:25:41 PM »
A Worldview animation showing the gradual accumulation of melt ponds in the CAA, which started in the south and only recently move towards the main channel, as well as melt ponding and drop of albedo in the southern Beaufort and northward to the CAB.
Click to animate and click again to zoom. Large file.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 02:02:46 PM by oren »

Paul

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 138
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #505 on: June 22, 2022, 06:25:27 PM »
Well the outlook for the ice certainly does not look too great for the ice especially again with the threat of a deep low over the ESS although as we seen, this can easily downgrade very quickly.

The low over the ESS/Laptev is forecast to remain around these areas for at least another 4 or so days before perhaps moving towards the Chukchi/CAB area with some runs indicating at a fairly deep low whilst others less strong.

Also hints the upcoming Scandinavian heatwave is going to affect the Barants sea with warmth coming up from the south, one to watch there.

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 23, 2022, 02:14:08 AM »
A Worldview animation showing the gradual accumulation of melt ponds in the CAA, which started in the south and only recently move towards the main channel, as well as melt ponding and drop of albedo in the southern Beaufort and northward to the CAB.
Click to animate and click again to zoom. Large file.

Nice animation. The Beaufort sea central core of MYI is pretty much intact, little heat absorption by direct solar radiation since the pack of floes is pretty compact with little open ocean, and surface melting is nonexistent almost (see 3-6-7 composite taken from yesterday from Eosdis).

Beaufort sea ice to get some heat in the next few days, but the latest forecasrs hint it might not be a lasting or very strong event. Beaufort sea MYI is, I assume, going to survive this year.

Michael Hauber

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 168
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #507 on: June 23, 2022, 04:00:59 AM »
Surface melt was visible in that area a few days ago.  So far a lot more sunshine and warmth in the Beaufort than last year.  Considering what it looked like at the end last year I would expect severe losses in the Beaufort if we get similar weather rest of the season.

Low pressure currently over Russian side of Arctic has had a fair bit of wind, but over quite a wide arc with no tight focus of winds near the center of the system.  No signs of dispersion obvious so far, but maybe there will be weak dispersion over a wide area.  Starting to look more like a stronger system in a few days time with a tighter center but the forecast could still change.  Overall Chukchi region will sea a lot of southerly wind over the next week and the ice edge should be pushed back a good way.  Some melt out of floes is also visible along the ice edge in that region (wispy/smoky edge).

North Pole has weak dispersion, which as far as I can tell has not happened this early in the season before.  2013 is closest with dispersion visible not far to the Atlantic side of the North Pole.  Current forecast suggests weak-moderate warm anomalies over the pole for the next week or so the North Pole may be an area to watch this season.

Attached is North Pole in 2016, arguably the closest we've had to open water at the pole so far.  We'd need much more melt-favourable weather to beat this, and a bit of compaction could easily close up the dispersion opened up so far.

Climate change:  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, expect the middle.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 881
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #508 on: June 23, 2022, 07:48:53 AM »
Something strange has been happpening in Nullschool this month - over-ice temperatures have been showing "green" (i.e. > 0°C) in large splatches basically every day for this month. The near-melting coloring is one of the things I have always looked for in Nullschool over the years and I do not remember seeing anything similar to what has been happening these last weeks.

NB this is most likely 2m temperatures and not actual "surface" temperatures. But the following image is just an example - green patches all over the North-American side, and basically every day is the same. Note also the katabatic effect on the North Coast of Greenland (not a foehn wind this time, there is no precipitation at the top).

So is this just me becoming senile or has anybody else noticed this? Nullschool does not allow one to go back to last year to check.

Requires click for full resolution.
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 23, 2022, 08:01:29 AM »
Meanwhile DMI's temps north of 80 has been consistently low so far this season.
As a reminder, DMI averages temps weighted by latitude, not by area, making this measure more representative of the Pole-85N area than of the true 80N line.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 23, 2022, 08:10:37 AM »
Indeed, I've wondered these last weeks how the two measures could be reconciled. In Nullschool today, no area north of 85 is below 0°, some as high as 0.8°.

EDIT: The DMI chart today is at appr. 0.5°C so not discrepancy there.
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1140
  • Likes Given: 680
« Reply #511 on: June 23, 2022, 08:27:00 AM »
June 18-22.

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #512 on: June 23, 2022, 08:48:07 AM »
Binntho, nice observations.

I will make a couple of reflections:

1) In the absence of noteworthy pressure systems in the Arctic (both H & L), katabatic winds will tend to dominate on the north slopes of both Alaska and Greenland. None of these will be picked up by ECMWF, and thus not influence the DMI80N temperature indicator.

2) In the NH mid-latitudes, we have also had a dominant absence of L- & H-pressure systems during June this year, which has resulted in an unprecedented period of vertical energy exchange (i.e. dewfall during night and drizzle during day).

3) Linking these two anomalies, we have observed a dominance of strong and bright nocti-lucent clouds throughout the past month. How, these phenomena may be linked to the current warmth observed by Null-School over the Arctic ice-surface, remains to be seen.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 23, 2022, 08:57:42 AM »
Thanks P-maker. The Arctic sure is full of surprises!

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 23, 2022, 09:00:22 AM »
Nullschool does not allow one to go back to last year to check.
I used to change year right in the address bar but they even have a button for it.

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 23, 2022, 09:16:03 AM »
Nullschool does not allow one to go back to last year to check.
I used to change year right in the address bar but they even have a button for it.
d'oh!

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
  • Live in Belleville, IL..15 miles SE of St. Louis.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 598
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #516 on: June 23, 2022, 08:38:57 PM »
Current vortex has brought fresh snow and freezing conditions to the ice over a huge part of the Arctic basin.

Expecially on the Russian side.

This is the area that saw surface melt a couple weeks ago.

Melt in much of the ESS and Laptec has for now stopped

I got a nickname for all my guns
a Desert Eagle that I call Big Pun
a two shot that I call Tupac
and a dirty pistol that love to crew hop
my TEC 9 Imma call T-Pain
my 3-8 snub Imma call Lil Wayne
machine gun named Missy so loud
it go e-e-e-e-ow e-e-e-e-e-e-blaow

Paul

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 24, 2022, 12:50:12 AM »
Well the deep low potential is back with the GFS really going for it(think it got right down to 965MB on the 18Z run), even the Euro models are backing it albeit a little more conservative. We shall see if they back down or not but its only a few days away and the impacts on the ESS could be interesting.

Michael Hauber

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 24, 2022, 02:14:47 AM »
Ec bottoms out at 973hp, which is not as deep as GFS (18Z min 967hp), but looks a more damaging system to me with overall more associated wind.

The system looks quite significant with strong winds and a reasonably compact core so will cause a lot more dispersion than over the last few days which did have some quite decent winds, but quite spread out.  It looks to be more destructive than low pressure systems that had significant impacts in the last two years, but it is quite early in the season so the subsurface waters haven't had a chance to significantly warm up yet. 

Much has been made of pre-conditioning via surface melt, but dispersion is also a significant pre-conditioning for further melt.  Open water absorbs over 90% of incoming solar radiation, and ice with surface melt ponds absorbs about 25%.  It is hard to get a significant area of open water within the ice pack, whereas surface melt ponds can quickly spread over the entire surface.  However when dispersion opens up areas of water within the ice pack this dispersion can stick around for a long time.  Surface melt pond condition can change quite quickly if weather conditions change.

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 25, 2022, 08:57:48 AM »
June 20-24.

Jontenoy

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #520 on: June 25, 2022, 09:51:14 AM »
I notice a really big difference in melt pools of the polar circle compared to 2021.  Much greater melt this year. Given that there is high albedo in this section, I can only assume the melt ponds are caused by energy from below ?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 25, 2022, 09:56:14 AM »
An AMSR2 animation of sea ice concentration in the central Arctic, excluding the more peripheral regions, courtesy of the Alfred Wegener institute (AWI). Note the Leads experimental product exaggerates the width of leads, in order to better show movement which I find very useful. Much more information available in the AWI thread mostly updated by uniquorn.
Click to animate and click again for maximum resolution.
The gif source is mirrored on https://seaice.de/AMSR2_Central_Arctic_SIC-LEADS.gif by the esteemed Dr. Lars Kaleschke, who also posts on this forum from time to time.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5258
« Reply #522 on: June 25, 2022, 11:35:28 AM »
Figured it would be a good idea to bring this to the main thread. There's been a low concentration area by the Pole for the last little while now, quite persistent. Is it simply dispersion or is bottom melt playing a role? There's been a fair bit of clear skies around there recently, under the 24 hour sun; I don't know what to expect. But I'm following it with interest, as "rubble-fication" is how I expect the next Arctic ice phase change will look like, whenever/if that happens.

Uniquorn has been following it in the AWI and also the Arctic Ocean Salinity... threads.

Tonight's Worldview snapshot, I just tweaked the levels/contrast to bring out details more:

If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

johnm33

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #523 on: June 25, 2022, 12:40:44 PM »
Taking a simplistic view of present and near future mslp, it looks like a period of export, via Fram, is underway and that will be followed shortly by ingress,via Bering, into Chukchi and ESS with the openings near the pole moving to, or just an easing open on the W.side of 180. If it pans out it suggests the ice and it's entrained layer is very mobile.

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 25, 2022, 01:32:12 PM »
974 mb in 90 hours. Cold and cloudy. Nothing to worry about, right?

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: June 25, 2022, 01:56:19 PM »
Taking a simplistic view of present and near future mslp, it looks like a period of export, via Fram, is underway and that will be followed shortly by ingress,via Bering, into Chukchi and ESS with the openings near the pole moving to, or just an easing open on the W.side of 180. If it pans out it suggests the ice and it's entrained layer is very mobile.

Personally I am more interested for what’s going on over Chukchi/Beaufort and whatever happens with the low in a week, whether it persists centered in the Arctic Basin or CAA basically quenching the melting season for good, or it is swept out to the Atlantic Ocean.

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 471
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #526 on: June 25, 2022, 02:44:10 PM »

Isobars are pretty tight on that low. Given the fragmented state of the CAB, I would expect the ice to be fairly mobile and the low should disperse the ice to the peripheral seas.

Slow down in SIE loss?

How long do the models predict this low to be in place?

johnm33

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #527 on: June 25, 2022, 03:14:58 PM »
"Chukchi Beaufort" Amundsen is mobile so I'd expect the increased tidal movement leading up to the new moon[wednesday] and after to begin pumping ice/water towards Chukchi and draw it in from the ice's epicenter say 160W 83Nbyeyeball and points south. Whether the ice moves or compresses?? but it should open north of the epi..

Paul

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 25, 2022, 05:46:05 PM »

Isobars are pretty tight on that low. Given the fragmented state of the CAB, I would expect the ice to be fairly mobile and the low should disperse the ice to the peripheral seas.

Slow down in SIE loss?

The low is predicted to stay very strong for about a day or two before gradually filling as it heads towards the CAB. Must be noted some runs had the low sticking around near the Laptev and not really enter the CAB all to play for

Still though, rough 48 hours or so for the ESS seemingly, I do think it's one of those set ups where low pressure is not good for the ice but the positive could be the cold winds hitting Laptev means SSTS may stay down somewhat.

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 25, 2022, 06:16:12 PM »

Slow down in SIE loss?

The low is predicted to stay very strong for about a day or two before gradually filling as it heads towards the CAB. Must be noted some runs had the low sticking around near the Laptev and not really enter the CAB all to play for

Still though, rough 48 hours or so for the ESS seemingly, I do think it's one of those set ups where low pressure is not good for the ice but the positive could be the cold winds hitting Laptev means SSTS may stay down somewhat.

The low is helping pull a lot of heat into the Pacific side while dispersing Laptev ice, so not that good for the ice. But if it moves into the CAB and stays there for days instead of being displaced to a more lateral position, it would put a brake to a melting season that, anyway, has got fairly little momentum so far.

Note: the map below does not really show ice thickness in Summer, but it is a good indicator of where surface melting is ongoing, and where it is not.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 06:30:34 PM by nadir »

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #530 on: June 25, 2022, 10:26:01 PM »
Just checked the latest EC 12z operational run. Not often you see a model forecasting a 968 hpa cyclone in July by D8. Should do a lot of damage to the ice in the the northern Laptev Sea if it materializes!

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 962
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #531 on: June 26, 2022, 05:53:55 AM »
Just checked the latest EC 12z operational run. Not often you see a model forecasting a 968 hpa cyclone in July by D8. Should do a lot of damage to the ice in the the northern Laptev Sea if it materializes!
It's called JAC, Jac Daniels; The June Arctic Cyclone I named after myself... and it's been blocking out the sun at peak insolation for a few weeks already now... just like last year...

Without any surprises like an August GAC, we could have a larger September minimum than last year...

<Irrelevant stuff removed. O>
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 08:04:55 AM by oren »
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Michael Hauber

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 26, 2022, 08:03:04 AM »
Low pressure swirls over the Russian side of the Arctic and most of the Arctic is covered by clouds.  but a lot of heat is being pulled into the Pacific side by this low and strong surface melt is visible in some area between the clouds, particularly on the Pacific side.  Other areas have the pale orange of a frozen surface, presumably as fresh snow falls from the swirling low pressure system.

Date is June 26th 2012.

Forecast for this year suggests the general pattern continuing, but high pressure intensifying in the Beaufort sector.  We currently have a similar pattern to 2012 with a low pressure dominated dipole and the situation is forecast to continue for the foreseeable future.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 26, 2022, 08:50:00 AM »
Lincoln Sea has recently shown more vigorous export down the Nares. Luckily the exit is narrow and has a limited throughput.
Note some images skipped due to cloudiness. The last image shows melt ponds on the Greenland glaciers.
Click to animate.

wallen

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #534 on: June 26, 2022, 09:17:18 AM »
Lincoln Sea has recently shown more vigorous export down the Nares. Luckily the exit is narrow and has a limited throughput.
Note some images skipped due to cloudiness. The last image shows melt ponds on the Greenland glaciers.
Click to animate.

Biggest worry, is there virtually no floes big enough in the Lincoln to potentially create a blockage in the strait.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 26, 2022, 10:27:45 AM »
As the winter did not manage to block the strait with an "arch" this year, by now there is no chance of it happening, the movement driven by current and wind is too strong and the floes are too weak. Even the largest floe seen in the animation breaking a corner of the fast ice and then entering the strait later broke when hitting Hans Island which sits in the middle of the path. This was discussed in the Nares Strait thread.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 26, 2022, 11:30:30 AM »
Cross-posting a part of Steven's interesting post in the SMOS thread.

After a somewhat slow period, surface melt has accelerated in the last few days according to various metrics: NSIDC area, SMOS, and JAXA AMSR2.

There has been a dipole since mid-June 2022, with high pressure near the Beaufort and CAA and with low pressure on the Siberian side of the Arctic Ocean.  This has ramped up the melting in the Western Arctic in the past week.  An area with strong surface melt has spread from Chukchi towards Beaufort in the last few days.

Weather models suggest the dipole conditions will continue for at least the next 5 days.

Below is an animation of the SMOS images for the last 2 weeks.  Data smoothed using a moving 3-day average to reduce fluctuations. 

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 895
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #537 on: June 26, 2022, 12:06:26 PM »
According to the Canadian Meteorological Centre the cyclone's MSLP had reached reached 982 hPa by midnight, and will bottom out at 974 hPa later today:

https://GreatWhiteCon.info/2022/06/facts-about-the-arctic-in-june-2022/#Jun-26
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 26, 2022, 06:17:38 PM »
Click to animate.

Biggest worry, is there virtually no floes big enough in the Lincoln to potentially create a blockage in the strait.

Blockages don't happen in the summer. Large floes shatter on Hans Island.

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 26, 2022, 07:41:33 PM »
According to the Canadian Meteorological Centre the cyclone's MSLP had reached reached 982 hPa by midnight, and will bottom out at 974 hPa later today:

https://GreatWhiteCon.info/2022/06/facts-about-the-arctic-in-june-2022/#Jun-26

The warmer air over the Pacific/American side comes accompanied with some rain. Below the 850 hPa temperatures for day 4 and the accumulated precipitation for the next four days from ECMWF 06Z run.

Since this is the second turning of the storm, I wonder if the sudden wetting of the surface at the center of Beaufort sea on the last two days has had more to do with rain than just air temperature & sun. SMOS showed wetting of surface way deep into the CAB too.

Precipitation over Laptev side of storm is probably snow.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 07:55:31 PM by nadir »

KenB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #540 on: June 26, 2022, 09:33:34 PM »
As the winter did not manage to block the strait with an "arch" this year, by now there is no chance of it happening, the movement driven by current and wind is too strong and the floes are too weak. Even the largest floe seen in the animation breaking a corner of the fast ice and then entering the strait later broke when hitting Hans Island which sits in the middle of the path. This was discussed in the Nares Strait thread.

Hi Oren,
    Could you link to the Nares Strait thread, please?  A couple searches failed to turn it up.  Thanks!
"When the melt ponds drain apparent compaction goes up because the satellite sees ice, not water in ponds." - FOoW

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3520
  • Likes Given: 756
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Michael Hauber

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 26, 2022, 11:43:10 PM »
Some weather watchers may have seen discussion of NE Pacific variability in recent years with terms such as 'the blob' 'ridiculously ridiculous ridge' and 'terribly tenacious trough' thrown about a few years ago.

Seems to be some stuff in the NE Pacific with some similarities, but also differences.  There is an area of very warm ocean water, but further west than what was termed 'the blob'.  I have also noticed what looks like a reasonably sticky blocking type pattern with a persistent upper trough over NW US and SW Canada.  This is persistent enough it shows up well in the 90 day averages.
 This seems to be splitting the NE Pacific surface high pressure, and the northern part of this split encouraging higher pressure in the Beaufort corner of the Arctic.  This is contributing to a dipole pattern, although this pattern seems a bit unstable with models constantly chopping and changing in the longer term (7-14 days) on whether the current dipole will continue or whether the Russian side low will migrate over towards Canada and set up a reverse dipole (which would be a big slow down on the potential of the melting season).

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 26, 2022, 11:57:07 PM »
Well, anyhow, a “dipolar” state is staying for a while according to the ECMWF 12Z and in a bad way. Should the low stay centered the situation would be different, but it seems that that ridge from Alaska is prevailing and the storm is moving out toward the Barents sea. This is day 5 and 7, nothing is certain especially for day 7!!

Michael Hauber

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 27, 2022, 04:59:40 AM »
I've always liked using ADS Jaxa view of the ice - it is quite conservative, and while it fails to capture small declines in ice due to dispersion or surface melt ponds, it doesn't seem to pick up anything due to clouds etc.  And I've not seen anything like the current reduction shown in Beaufort - which is indicative of severe melt ponding.

Compare against the most extreme melt ponding shown in 2020 in second image.

More extreme melt ponding is suggested in 2007 and 2012, but 2012 had sensor issues so hard to know exactly how comparable the images shown in 2012 were. 

Visual comparison on MODIS to me suggests that current surface melt in Beaufort/Chukchi is worse than anything in June 2020 and at least similar to surface melt conditions in 2020 during July in ESS region.

edit:  its a bit puzzling as to what could be causing extreme surface melt as temps are moderately warm but far from exceptional, sky is if anything cloudier than normal.  Decent southerly at surface, but nothing too exceptional speed wise. 

But a look above the surface has a low level jet - winds to 50knots at 950hp, compared to 24knots at surface, and what I assume is high amounts of moisture for the Arctic with 950hp dew points about 6 or 7 degrees along much of the ice edge in that region.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 05:12:48 AM by Michael Hauber »

Csnavywx

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #545 on: June 27, 2022, 07:17:26 AM »
I've always liked using ADS Jaxa view of the ice - it is quite conservative, and while it fails to capture small declines in ice due to dispersion or surface melt ponds, it doesn't seem to pick up anything due to clouds etc.  And I've not seen anything like the current reduction shown in Beaufort - which is indicative of severe melt ponding.

Compare against the most extreme melt ponding shown in 2020 in second image.

More extreme melt ponding is suggested in 2007 and 2012, but 2012 had sensor issues so hard to know exactly how comparable the images shown in 2012 were. 

Visual comparison on MODIS to me suggests that current surface melt in Beaufort/Chukchi is worse than anything in June 2020 and at least similar to surface melt conditions in 2020 during July in ESS region.

edit:  its a bit puzzling as to what could be causing extreme surface melt as temps are moderately warm but far from exceptional, sky is if anything cloudier than normal.  Decent southerly at surface, but nothing too exceptional speed wise. 

But a look above the surface has a low level jet - winds to 50knots at 950hp, compared to 24knots at surface, and what I assume is high amounts of moisture for the Arctic with 950hp dew points about 6 or 7 degrees along much of the ice edge in that region.

Ding ding, downsloping event with Pacific moisture causing large delta between sat vapor pressure over that ice and ambient vapor pressure of the air being advected over it. Arctic coast dews pretty consistently +6-10C. That's going to cause a lot of condensation on ice surfaces. Latent heat release has to go somewhere.

Wind not especially high, but more than enough to keep persistent warm/moist advection over the ice pack. There's a reason we've seen a marked increase in melt, despite a decent amount of cloudiness.

Aluminium

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 27, 2022, 09:04:41 AM »
June 22-26.

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 27, 2022, 07:38:11 PM »
That low is having the effect on SIE we might expect to see. Ice gets dispersed and decline in SIE slows.

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2176
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #548 on: June 28, 2022, 08:47:07 PM »
Worldview has been down today
Posted 28 June 2022

We are currently experiencing an issue with the data feed of all near real-time MODIS and VIIRS imagery. We apologize for the inconvenience.

rammb is still up https://col.st/AYc9M
CAA looking blue.

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 28, 2022, 10:31:01 PM »
You do not often see on a day a 178k sea ice area loss compared with a 77k sea ice extent loss.
A sympton of increased ice mobility in a rubbled central arctic ice "pack"?

I think you are correct. The CAB used to consist of massive, rhomboid shaped rafts of thick MYI that would barely budge in high winds unless the winds persisted for days. Today it's like stiring a mixed drink.